I think I know why they call it a new birthday.
Alot just changed on Friday March 27th, and I am completely new in so many ways. Nothing will be the same...
Friday morning we got up around 4 so they we could be to SHMC by 5am for check in. Upon checking in they immediatly got things started and had us in a pre-op room to get my IV and such set up.
If I was to base the whole thing on the pre-op stuff I would have then said it was all going to be so wonderful....
Finally about 7 am I said goodbye to mom, ann and daya, and then lastly Michael. I assured him unlike last time I would be just fine upon my awakening and he is the first one I want to see..
The staff tells mike surgery will be " approx 150 minutes, and then dr. Spitz will come see him ".
Come 10:30 - almost 3 1/2 hours later Mike still hadnt heard anything and nerves were high.
I woke up on my own in a corner of the PACU unit at 11:15. I asked the nurse to see my husband and she said I couldnt. No one is allowed back there? I felt ok, other than really sick, and tired.
I kept looking at the clock...
I heard one nurse say ' find her a recliner cause shes gotta get out of her , we can put her in pt. holding '. I lost it - I WANT A BED !!!
At 1:45pm - yes 1:45 they finally said they would be moving me upstairs and I would soon see mike. I was livid, scared and confused.
They got me moved upstairs about 2:30 where mike informed me of the horrible staff. They didnt tell him one thing. Not when I could be expected, Not that I was ok, not that I was awake, and not that the reason it took so long in the first place is cause surgery didnt start till 8:30.
The nurses were very rude to me, and I had at that point had enough.
Mom, Ann and Mike stayed with me a bit, but Mike had to get to work, and mom and ann left so that I could get some rest...
Waiting for help around there SUCKED.
Mom and Daya, Bree and Curt came up and visited a while. it was nice to have them close. I was feeling pretty uneasy! My pain at that point not well controlled at all and I was still super groggy.
They left, and Dee and Ann came up... Had a good visit, I informed them of the stupid staff and then was ready for a nap.
The next day ( saturday ) things got worse. Actually through that night. The morphine pump wasnt doing much but making me sick to my tummy, and dizzy - so they tried 4 different opiette based drugs for the PAC pump. Finally they went with dolated. It helped a little bit but still not giving me the rest I needed from the pain. They didnt get me out of bed to walk - which had me frustrated because I knew the sooner I could accomplish that the sooner my head would come down to earth.
At 8am saturday transport for radiology came down to take me for my pouch study ( to make sure theres no leaks ) and when I got down there I was dizzy, nausiated and hadnt stood at all. They sent me back to my room, and told the nurses I really needed to be better controlled!
- Skip ahead I fought hard to keep the pain in check, and then walk. They attemped the study again around 1 and it worked just fine :).
There was a point after they removed my cathader that I had to go to the bathroom so bad. I called the nurse 30 minutes passed with no answer, then I started having bladder and kidney pain and leaking urine NOT HAPPY about that. My aunt finally got pissed, got me to the potty and let the nurse have it! That was totally un acceptable!
The care was by far the worst ive ever gotten.
My childhood best friend Jamie's mom was there shes a NAC on the same floor and she, although not assinged to me, was a god send. She helped me out so much! I was worried of jamie too because she had her new lil baby boy friday afternoon, and was bleeding heavy. It gave me something to think of though :).
I finally seen my surgeon Sat night. He said " He couldnt have asked for a better surgery " it was picture perfect, and that I could start drinking clear liquids since the pouch study was fine.
He said that he would order liquid meds to get the pain in check and that if all went well I could go home sunday or monday.
Come today ( sunday ) I was tired of not getting help. I made myself get out of bed, to the bathroom etc, and took the new meds. I was feeling so much better and told dr. I did want to go home.
Friday morning we got up around 4 so they we could be to SHMC by 5am for check in. Upon checking in they immediatly got things started and had us in a pre-op room to get my IV and such set up.
If I was to base the whole thing on the pre-op stuff I would have then said it was all going to be so wonderful....
Finally about 7 am I said goodbye to mom, ann and daya, and then lastly Michael. I assured him unlike last time I would be just fine upon my awakening and he is the first one I want to see..
The staff tells mike surgery will be " approx 150 minutes, and then dr. Spitz will come see him ".
Come 10:30 - almost 3 1/2 hours later Mike still hadnt heard anything and nerves were high.
I woke up on my own in a corner of the PACU unit at 11:15. I asked the nurse to see my husband and she said I couldnt. No one is allowed back there? I felt ok, other than really sick, and tired.
I kept looking at the clock...
I heard one nurse say ' find her a recliner cause shes gotta get out of her , we can put her in pt. holding '. I lost it - I WANT A BED !!!
At 1:45pm - yes 1:45 they finally said they would be moving me upstairs and I would soon see mike. I was livid, scared and confused.
They got me moved upstairs about 2:30 where mike informed me of the horrible staff. They didnt tell him one thing. Not when I could be expected, Not that I was ok, not that I was awake, and not that the reason it took so long in the first place is cause surgery didnt start till 8:30.
The nurses were very rude to me, and I had at that point had enough.
Mom, Ann and Mike stayed with me a bit, but Mike had to get to work, and mom and ann left so that I could get some rest...
Waiting for help around there SUCKED.
Mom and Daya, Bree and Curt came up and visited a while. it was nice to have them close. I was feeling pretty uneasy! My pain at that point not well controlled at all and I was still super groggy.
They left, and Dee and Ann came up... Had a good visit, I informed them of the stupid staff and then was ready for a nap.
The next day ( saturday ) things got worse. Actually through that night. The morphine pump wasnt doing much but making me sick to my tummy, and dizzy - so they tried 4 different opiette based drugs for the PAC pump. Finally they went with dolated. It helped a little bit but still not giving me the rest I needed from the pain. They didnt get me out of bed to walk - which had me frustrated because I knew the sooner I could accomplish that the sooner my head would come down to earth.
At 8am saturday transport for radiology came down to take me for my pouch study ( to make sure theres no leaks ) and when I got down there I was dizzy, nausiated and hadnt stood at all. They sent me back to my room, and told the nurses I really needed to be better controlled!
- Skip ahead I fought hard to keep the pain in check, and then walk. They attemped the study again around 1 and it worked just fine :).
There was a point after they removed my cathader that I had to go to the bathroom so bad. I called the nurse 30 minutes passed with no answer, then I started having bladder and kidney pain and leaking urine NOT HAPPY about that. My aunt finally got pissed, got me to the potty and let the nurse have it! That was totally un acceptable!
The care was by far the worst ive ever gotten.
My childhood best friend Jamie's mom was there shes a NAC on the same floor and she, although not assinged to me, was a god send. She helped me out so much! I was worried of jamie too because she had her new lil baby boy friday afternoon, and was bleeding heavy. It gave me something to think of though :).
I finally seen my surgeon Sat night. He said " He couldnt have asked for a better surgery " it was picture perfect, and that I could start drinking clear liquids since the pouch study was fine.
He said that he would order liquid meds to get the pain in check and that if all went well I could go home sunday or monday.
Come today ( sunday ) I was tired of not getting help. I made myself get out of bed, to the bathroom etc, and took the new meds. I was feeling so much better and told dr. I did want to go home.
Long story short here I am at home.
The pain is incredible. Im still not breathing as well as I should be but im practicing. Eating is hard. Im full all the time. And im pushing fluids as much as I can.
I did it..... and I dont regret one thing about it so far.
The pain is incredible. Im still not breathing as well as I should be but im practicing. Eating is hard. Im full all the time. And im pushing fluids as much as I can.
I did it..... and I dont regret one thing about it so far.
Ill update in a few days :)
For all intents and purposes thsi will be my " before photo " Day of surgery 214lbs.
Pretty flowers Aunt Ann brought me - With a card " Wishing you a healthier life ".
Momma and Roo right before surgery :) Not too bad for a 5am -ish photo
My battle wounds. 5 holes in all. The one with the gauze was where my drain tube was. The other 4 are small in comparison and will fade.
Stats :
48 Hours Post Op - Drinking clear liquids, Having 1oz meals of soup or the like for the next 2 weeks. Feeling ok, but sore.
Weight : 211 lbs according to hospital scale, but I think its more like 214lbs.
0 comments:
Post a Comment